- About Us
Colbert County Memorial Gardens, Inc. was established in 1958. For many years the cemetery was owned and operated by Judge John Sockwell of Tuscumbia. In April, 1973, Judge Sockwell sold the cemetery to Bob R. Love, John Martin, Jim Thomas, James Leigh, and H. M. (Marcell) Isbell.
The property consisted of 27 acres located on Hwy 43 South in Tuscumbia, with approximately 9 acres developed at that time. Subsequent developments included the first lawn crypt garden installed in Alabama in 1975, the construction of a vault manufacturing facility, more lawn crypt gardens and the paving of all the streets in the cemetery. In 1990 property was purchased for the construction of our funeral home.
Colbert Memorial Chapel was opened in June of 1992. Soon after this, a crematory was added to the property behind the funeral home. Also during this period a street was added to connect the funeral home property to the existing cemetery property. Along this new street Colbert Memorial Gardens added the “Circle of Love Mausoleum”. Current ownership consists of the heirs of Bob Love, John Martin and James Leigh, as well as H.M. Isbell who is an original stockholder.